Game Engine Forum - Grit Open Source Streaming Game Engine
Site Header
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Questions, comments, suggestions.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:35 am 

I've been browsing around a long time for a suitable game engine to use for making a free game which will be published, not just a pet project.
I'd like to use an open source engine instead of closed source, even through there's some great closed engines I could hop into and go ahead with, I really want to use an open engine, allows complete freedom with source access, the ability to fix bugs properly and instead of paying up, contributing, if the game made money I'd donate to support development.

I plan on the game being online-only, I heard you're going to have multiplayer, will it be a proper-ish ded server or listen? If the latter, if it's something easily modifiable into a ded, not a problem.

Will there be a git or merc download? SVN isn't so popular these days.

How much is possible with Lua? It'd be great if quite a bit could be controlled, don't have to have everything controllable from Lua as long as it's easy to integrate and mod, only critical thing would be GUI and entity creation/destruction, basic events.
I wouldn't really bother making the gui more complex than a simple windowing system, fancy 3d just wastes power and distracts from the game, could have in-game gui elements but that's a separate matter. Lua doing the job of html essentially.

Will you be adding an "FPS mode"? My game is entirely first person, about 3/4 of your time would be on foot. Would be an interesting thing to have for demo purposes, or just an easy way to control player state so it can be modded in.

Oh ya, I wouldn't bother with directx... it's slower and more complicated than OpenGL, and not multi-platform.

Post subject: Re: Questions, comments, suggestions.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:46 pm 
Supreme Tyrant of All
Supreme Tyrant of All

HardBoot wrote:
I plan on the game being online-only, I heard you're going to have multiplayer, will it be a proper-ish ded server or listen? If the latter, if it's something easily modifiable into a ded, not a problem.

At this point we only have plans. We have not gotten as far as even deciding what backend library to use or whether or not to roll our own. One thing that seems to be necessary is a reliable layer on top of udp, for certain important packets that can't be lost. That sort of thing can be tricky to implement efficiently.

I did do a fair amount of work refactoring the graphics subsystem to allow building the engine without graphics, which would be necessary for a dedicated server. I'm not sure if we will even support a 'listen' server, at least at first.

Quote:
Will there be a git or merc download? SVN isn't so popular these days.

At this stage we don't really gain much from it and it adds a little bit more complexity. Since a lot of the contributors are artists whose only prior experience with version control is drop box, that is a big deal. We ought to move to a trunk/branches/tags model of svn use though.

Quote:
How much is possible with Lua?

It's always been the intention to maximise the customisability of the engine. If it could be done in Lua (without compromising performance or making a mess) then it has been. You either can or should be able to do all the things you listed in Lua right now.

The GUI support in Grit is going to get a rewrite. It'll be lua-based and allow custom widgets and stuff like that.

Quote:
Will you be adding an "FPS mode"? My game is entirely first person, about 3/4 of your time would be on foot. Would be an interesting thing to have for demo purposes, or just an easy way to control player state so it can be modded in.

Yeah it's quite easy, you can reuse the character controller with maybe some minor tweaks. The engine isn't designed for the sort of corridors / room based game that is stereotypical for FPSes. You can do it, but it won't be as fast as an engine that uses a portal-based culling approach, since it won't be able to cull objects behind walls, only objects that are far away. However for an outdoors FPS it should work quite well.

Quote:
Oh ya, I wouldn't bother with directx... it's slower and more complicated than OpenGL, and not multi-platform.

It all depends on the hardware unfortunately. Sometimes GL on windows is awful. Ogre essentially gives us both for free so it's nice to have the option.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:56 pm 

HardBoot wrote:
making a free game which will be published

Hi! Excuse me, "free" as in "free-to-play" or as in "free software"?

I just come up with a game idea, it's an FPS too, but I'll be making a GPL licensed game :)
So if your game is "free" as in "free software" we could work together on that maybe.

Also I'm going to implement FPS mode character controller soon :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:54 pm 

Ya the FPS will be almost entirely outdoors so the visibility systems of typical fps games is actually pretty useless since they're cell based.
Although it would be useful if there was a drawdistance override trigger, in some areas you couldn't see far off into the distance so I could turn down the drawdistance to boost performance.
Is there a crude LoD system? I don't need anything beyond terrain LoD and swapping models for lower res versions at distance, 512+MB is the defacto standard for graphics cards these days which gives decent room for textures and lighting.

It's good you're going for the server-client model for multiplayer, a couple engines steered me away because they only had listen, very tied in. I want 4-255 players and listens generally can't handle more than 8 for

There aren't really any titles out there which are comparable to my planned game, in some ways it's comparable to Fallen Earth, but smaller, faster paced, no questing, npc and user made factions.

Do you have a chart which maps out the engine's design, or future design with networking, so I can more easily make sense of the code?

A friend of mine is working on an easy to use general purpose network lib, there's some doodles on https://github.com/mocsy/MiCroDesu/wiki/Packet-Parser it's currently just being worked on internally.
TCP/UDP, runs as a separate thread, decent throughput and responsiveness, lossy or non-lossy.

Razzeeyy wrote:
HardBoot wrote:
making a free game which will be published

Hi! Excuse me, "free" as in "free-to-play" or as in "free software"?
I just come up with a game idea, it's an FPS too, but I'll be making a GPL licensed game :)
So if your game is "free" as in "free software" we could work together on that maybe.
Also I'm going to implement FPS mode character controller soon :)

Free software, proprietary game content. So it's both free software and free-to-play.

If you worked on FPS and I got help on networking, that's be a big chunk of what we need.
I'll be contributing some assets, texture, models, sound.